INVESTMENT IN EDUCATION
Our company has consistently invested in the development of the youth of the country. A significant part of this investment goes directly into the educational system.
Our educational involvements include:
- Early Childhood Nutritional Support Programme, through which we provide approximately 24,000 pre-schoolers with
breakfast/lunch daily to help them make the most of their learning
- The JPS Science & Technology Expo, is one of our major
educational projects. This expo is open to students from the primary
through to tertiary level and gives students an opportunity to display their scientific innovations and inventions. It is the only one of its
kind in Jamaica.
- Top CXC Awards, presented to all the top
science students based on the annual results of the Caribbean
Examination Council (CXC) scholastic exams. As a science based
organization, we consistently support excellence in the sciences.
- The JPS Denham Town Homework Centre, is located in the Denham Town community. JPS enjoys a very special relationship with members of the Western Kingston community. The facility, which boasts 23 computers, provides a quiet place for students from the school and surrounding communities to complete assignments, study and learn how to use the computer.
- The JPS Old Harbour Bay Homework Centre, is located in the Old Harbour Bay community, where one of our power plants operates. We enjoy a special relationship with this community and have created a homework centre for the students of that locale where they can access resources for assignments and enjoy their studies in an environment conducive to learning. The homework centre is equipped with 20 computers, and is also open to members of the wider public.
- The JPS Farm Heights/Rose Heights Centre, which was established in
partnership with the Social Development Commission (SDC), has a
student population of 70 serve the Farm and Rose Heights communities in St.James . The centre provides internet access and other services to community members at a small fee.
- Renovation of the Utech Electrical Engineering Laboratories, during which the Power System, Analysis Lab, and Virtual Lab were
completely refurbished to world class standards. This facility greatly
enhances the learning experience of students pursuing the Bachelor
Degree and Diploma in Electrical Engineering.
- Computer donations presented to several early childhood institutions and primary schools.
- Contributions of equipment to early childhood institutions such as play equipment, office furniture and fittings.
- Scholarships: An important part of national development is providing students with access to quality education. As
such, we award a number of scholarships each year which allow Jamaican
students to pursue studies at the following universities:
- University of Technology, Faculty of Engineering & Computing - Papine, Jamaica
- University of the West Indies - Mona Jamaica
- Northern Caribbean University - Mandeville Jamaica
click to view large image